Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trips To the Frying Pan

For the past 35 years, I have made many trips to the Frying Pan with many friends some of which are now gone.  I dearly miss fishing with my old friend Chuck Fothergill, who is probably the best fly fisherman I've ever had the pleasure of knowing except perhaps my own son.  Chuck's knowledge of the Pan and its crazy fish has served me well for the past three decades.  I can still go there and catch fish on a dry fly amongst the nymphers with their strike indicators that would put Don King's hair to shame.  I have my favorite spots where, along with my buds, we sit and discuss flies, fly rods, picky fish and great women that have touched our lives along the way.  The Pan gives me solace, excitement, memories and always a lesson in patience.  Viv la Frying Pan........
By the way, this little treat might come in handy on your next trip.

 
 

Lemon Curd Pound Cake

Make this cake and take room temp to the river for breakfast.  It’s heavy, so don’t eat too much, you’ll nap your way through the morning.  A great start to a Scottish morning on the river Tay.

To make the lemon curd, mix 8 egg yolks, 1 ½ cup of sugar, ½ cup fresh lemon juice.  Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a double boiler and whisk the eggs and sugar until smooth, add lemon juice and continue to whisk until it thickens and coats a spoon.  Remove from the heat and whisk in 1 ½ sticks of cubed butter.  Put this in the fridge for a few hours before you make the cake.

For the pound cake, soften 3 sticks of butter and mix with a mixer into 8 oz of cream cheese, 6 eggs, 1 Tbs. vanilla extract, 3 cups sugar and 3 cups flour.  Blend extremely well.  Here’s where you make the decision on what to do with the lemon curd.  You can blend it into the cake mix or simply cook the cake and serve it on top as a topping.  I like it blended into the cake mix.  Bake the cake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes or until a tooth pick pull out cleanly.  Cool before serving.  I make mine in a Bundt pan, but some folks prefer it in a sheet cake pan.  Either way, I guarantee you’ll make it more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment